Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Episode One: Palese States ...

Hello!  Welcome to Scribbles and Sticks, the blog to accompany my art/craft business, Scribble Stix.  But, more importantly, I hope it provides a community base for all of us who strive (and sometimes stumble) to earn our living, express our creativity, and bring enjoyment through our various artistic methods.

The image above is from the back of my business card, a kind of "artist's bio" that many shops and galleries  like to include with the work we consign or sell wholesale to them.  As it says, my name is Bruce Palese.  It sounds like "police", which is ironic because my father retired recently after many years as Chief of Police in my home town.

The "bio" also hints at the reasons I started my business and how the idea came about.  But it doesn't tell the whole story.  Like how anxious I was at losing my job at the tender age of 50 and the struggle I had finding work during The Great Recession we're now just starting to climb out of.  Or how a few sticks (along with God's grace and my wife's love and support) saved my sanity and helped me keep my self-respect.

I'll tell you more about myself and my journey in future posts.  I'll share what I've learned along the way and I'll reach out to some of the great people I've met and ask them to relate some of their stories.

It's my hope that we meet here often and offer tips, short cuts, must-do shows and shops, and shows and shops to avoid.  To share stories and camaraderie.  To commiserate and/or celebrate with like-minded creative types who "get" why we do what we do!

Please let me know what you think of the blog and offer helpful criticism and comments.  Please don't hesitate to participate - it's your blog too! 

Until next time, stay creative !!

No comments:

Post a Comment